If you live at the Point, you’re likely to hear the sound of a surf contest horn every weekend from spring through fall. In addition to spending a little time planning where you’re going to surf, it also means there’s a constant source of entertainment.
This past weekend was probably my most favorite contest: The Logjam! put on by the Big Stick Surfing Association. Here’s why:
- pre-1970 old boards only
- no leashes (aka kook cords)
- first day is Aloha day where everyone surfs twice in mixed heats (men, women, and abilities)
- Aloha Team competition: 2 surfers on 2 old boards riding the same wave together
- probably the best T-shirt designs
And no, I didn’t compete. But my friend and surfboard shaper, Ashley Lloyd Thompson, suggested I get out there in 2014. We shall see!
The photos really say it all so here are some links to the best I’ve seen so far. Enjoy!:
Big Stick Surfing Association
Howard “Boots” McGhee
I wasn’t going to compete. Why?
- Surfing competitions make me nervous
- I’m “a bit” competitive
- I don’t like the idea of people I know seeing me do a bonehead move
- If I can help it, I don’t go out of my way to embarrass myself
However, a good friend pointed out that Women on Waves is a FESTIVAL. It’s about celebrating women and surfing, setting a good example for young women and girls who are interested in the sport, and the money goes to charity. It’s really NOT a competition. Although the vibe is a little different when you’re out in the line up with a jersey on and watching the time clock to make sure you get your wave count.
In any case, I swallowed my pride and participated. It also helped that about 15 of my closest women surf buddies were also part of the festivities. By my second heat I had relaxed enough to where I can say I had a great time and glad I did it.
Video and Photos
- This short video captures the essence of the Surf Fest
- Mike Murray’s got some amazing photos
- Photo in this post by Douglass Weymouth
Event Info.: Women on Waves Facebook Page
So, plan on seeing me next year – hopefully not doing a bonehead move!